Monday, March 15, 2010

Tolerance of Others

Happy Monday to all. I'm hoping everyone is adjusting to getting an hour less of sleep over the weekend as most of us have "celebrated" day light savings time and have lost an hour of our lives this past weekend. I know for myself it was quite an amazing weekend. Good times with friends, many laughs, unforgettable experiences and capped off with a good Sunday with my Amy and my kids. It is however "Back to Reality" Monday.

Off and running we go now on to today's blog. I read a newspaper article yesterday about atheists being offended by roadside memorials. I'm sure you've seen them. Usually it is a cross planted on the side of the road, sometimes its a wreath. Usually its surrounded by flowers and pictures and other items left in remembrance of those who died in an automobile accident. Apparently our atheist friends find the crosses to be a violation of church and state. Roadsides are generally property of the government. This writer did a lot web surfing at different atheist websites and found one that went so far as to describe how to take these crosses down.

Now I think we are entering into some sensitive areas and I never have once been afraid to wade right into these areas. I don't claim to know or relate to what an atheist feels and believes. I don't usually share my beliefs of the spiritual world in public forums but I'd like to give my readers just a glimpse of my journey if I may. I was raised in an ultra-conservative religious home and required to attend religious services sometimes as many as four times a week. I never felt comfortable living this lifestyle and in fact felt that it alienated me from other children. When I entered into college and began to experience many new things I came to the realization that I was an agnostic. Just a brief lesson on what these words mean so all of my readers can stay on the same page, or blog if you wish. An atheist doesn't have any beliefs in gods, an agnostic doesn't deny there is a god just that there is no discernible proof of their existence. I spent much of my 20's practicing agnosticism.

In my late 20's a series of events collided forcing me to re-evaluate my spiritual ideas. I must say that I no longer consider myself agnostic, as I do have a belief in a God as I understand him. I have absolutely no religious affiliations nor do I ever picture myself ever truly desiring any. I do occasionally attend church services and have actually rather liked exploring different denominations. All of this being stated lets get back on topic shall we?

Placing a roadside memorial at the spot of a loved one's death has many therapeutic values. These memorials can often help ones grieving process. I think as humans we tend to feel a need to do something at the passing of a loved one to ensure they will not be forgotten. This is where the tolerance of others comes along. Just because I don't agree with your form of grieving or you expressing yourself in general, doesn't mean you don't have the right to do these things. I, for instance, am offended at hate groups who march and protest trying to ignite hate and intolerance. I do however recognize their right to do these things and believe we are correct in providing them a forum to do so. I was inspired to write today's blog because of the overall attitude some atheists possess that the things they find "wrong" or offending they can just remove. Removing some one's roadside memorial is at best terribly insensitive, and at is worst full of douchebaggery. (I've been wanting to use this word and am so happy to finally have the opportunity.) Much like the peace demonstrators protesting war at a fallen soldiers funeral, removing a persons memorial is in extremely bad taste.

This is the nuts and bolts of the issue for me. We all find it necessary to remind everyone of our rights and freedoms and demand that they practice tolerance for our way of living. Yet many people still demand that others make concessions of their freedoms to appease their lifestyles. I get the fact that atheists are offended by having to look at crosses. Really I do get that. I don't however believe that is enough motivation for governments to deprive loved ones their ability to grieve and memorialize their lost loved ones. Just as atheists demand people respect their rights to be atheist, they should also practice respecting others rights to live according to their religious beliefs.

I am a proponent of the separation of church and state. I also believe that many of those in favor of church and state tend to take things a little too far. There are appropriate battlefields for the debate to take place, ripping down memorials on the side of the expressway isn't one of these places. Once again I'm reminded that we will never live in a perfect world. Again I'm reminded that encouraging folks to become more tolerant of folks different than themselves is a step in the right direction. Can't we all just get along? Most likely not I'm sure but it's enough of a happy thought to carry this writer through the rest of the day.

“You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Friedrich Nietzsche-

2 comments:

  1. That's probably one of the few Nietzche statements that I'd actually agree with. And I agree completely with your use of the word "douchebaggery."

    I had to look it up, but the first article of the Bill of Rights says "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion." It doesn't say "you can't use public land for a religious display" or "there will be no religion anywhere where the Government is." It was designed to prevent the establishment of a national "you-have-to-belong-to this-one" religion. All the rest was judicial stupidity, sadly.

    I get really quite annoyed at the "you have to give up your rights so I don't have to be incovenienced by the sight of your stupid religion" folks. And yes, I can get more than a wee bit intolerant of the intolerance of these groups, when I'm more than happy to live-&-let-live rule in regards to them.

    An older meaner me would have said, "You don't like this roadside memorial? Just stand still and I'll solve your problem..." Of course, then I'd have to put up a roadside memorial for them, too... /sigh/

    Sometimes, the advice of my first sponsor to "just shut the hell up and let it go" would be helpful if it were more universally applied and accepted.

    Good stuff, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve. Sometimes reading your comments to my blogs make the blogs themselves very worthwile. You do have a way with the english language that never fails to make me smile.

    ReplyDelete