Monday, March 8, 2010

Gay People are People Too.

Its another "woke up a little tired from a busy weekend" Monday. Just as those still employed Americans do, this writer must swallow down his coffee and get busy writing and sharing his words of wisdom or lack thereof. I would say mostly the later of that statement is more commonly shared here friends. Not that a lack of wisdom or knowledge of a topic has ever stopped this blogger from sharing his opinions. Ever actually has it prevented me from doing that now that I think about it. Anyway let's get moving...

Did you know that Gay people are people too? The topics of homosexuality and gay rights are ones that lay close to this writers heart. It began with the opportunity to become more open minded while I attended college long ago. A gentleman that I had grown to be close friends with was fairly far out of the closet and fairly active in the gay rights arena in Coles County Illinois in those days. My friends anyone who is active in the gay rights arena in Coles County Illinois has much more courage than you and I will ever likely have in our lifetimes. Coles County Illinois is not what you might call progressive thinking. This friend of mine wanted to start a Gay Club and support group at our community college. Me being the controversial and outlandish person that I am championed his cause and did all I could to support it. Let us just say that the next several months did much to cement gay rights as passionate subject within me. The fear, prejudice and ignorance I witnessed in the aftermath are things I shall never forget. Students protested against us. Residents of the county wrote disparaging letters to city newspapers. News cameras attended Board of Director's meetings. The student senate held a forum for students to verbally express their dismay on this topic. Ultimately the B-GLADD (Bisexuals- Gays, Lesbians and Allies to Develop Diversity) club was successfully founded. One of the things I'm most proud of accomplishing in my life is the fact that I not only helped start this club, but that I was also honored to be it's first vice-president. For those of you interested the B-GLADD club is still alive and well and active on Lake Land Community College's campus. I put in a phone call to one of its faculty advisers and left a message. I hope she returns my call. I would be thrilled to find out more about its activities over the last decade and a half.

Taking the stance I did at that time afforded me many opportunities to expand my horizons and to become more open minded. It did not come with out a price. My mother cried and was overall dumbfounded by my actions and support of this club. The Church that I grew up in publicly denounced me from its pulpit, more than once actually. Many friends and loved ones became detached and non-existent in my life. The price that I paid was well worth it my friends. To have a club and support group that still exists today to help make those more comfortable in their own skin is priceless.

Over the years since this club was founded I continued on with my gypsy like life. I moved often and lived in many different states and cities. I gained a lot more experience in this thing we call life. I'm not one to publicly out anyone but there are people who are very near and dear to my heart who happen to be gay, not only in my family but also in my network of friends. It has always boiled down to this for me...gay people are people too. They are not second class citizens my friends. Many of the gay people I know and love are average folks, living and working and enjoying good qualities of life. Some are doing some amazing things in their community to better other folk's lives. Yes dear readers some of the finest people I know are ones that sleep with people of the same sex.

Despite the fact that we have come a long way in the gay rights arena, there still is a long road to walk. Or march if you choose. I'm thrilled that some states and cities have elected to permit gay marriage. Other governments are becoming more open to gay rights. However it is a fact that in some areas gay people are not even protected by hate crimes. Many areas of our country do not recognize their right to adopt children or to be a part of cohesive family units.

There are many things that many people do in their lives that I do not condone nor approve of, for instance those that are satanists or devil worshippers. I don't approve of this behavior at all. I do however believe and support their right to be who they are and to practice their way of life without fear of reprisal. This is the foundation of my beliefs in the gay rights world. Although you as a person may not understand it (hell I don't always either if I'm honest about it) these folks have rights protected in our constitution just as you and I do, to practice and live their lives as they choose. Our country's Declaration of Independence proclaims "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." The encroachment of these rights were the whole basis of America becoming a nation. It was why we fought the Revolutionary War my friends. No where at no time should these rights ever be denied to law abiding American Citizens.

We do not live in a perfect world nor will we ever. But we can continue to challenge our thinking and educate our friends and neighbors against ignorance and fear. We can continue to support events and organizations that educate and further the causes of unity and equality in all. People are people and nothing more. Your choice of a partner to sleep with, to make a life with, to have as a life long companion should never dictate you right to pursue happiness.

Just recently President Obama renewed the debate about "the don't ask don't tell" policy of our military. Once again the topic of gays and their rights has been brought to the public forum. Let us not allow this opportunity to slip away because we are fearful of those different from us.

I am at my core a rural conservatively raised man, a country boy and a white straight man. I once participated in a kiss-in demonstration on the campus of Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, IL. That day I arrived with more than a little apprehension and fear of what others might think of me as a man. That day I was kissed by a 60 something gay male professor in front of hundreds of other people. I stand before you a better man because of this.

The writer Ernest Gaines once asked "Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?" Why indeed Mr. Gaines, why indeed.


The experience of start

1 comment:

  1. Dan, I've always been grateful for your open and welcoming attitude. As you know, this topic is near and dear to me as a gay man and your friend.

    The one thing I'd take exception with is one word in your title: "Gay people are people, too." Forgive the student-of-language picking nits, here, but GLBT people are people, first and foremost. I know that you know that - you live it. But other people need to realize that we're not gays who happen to be people also - we're people, just like them, who happen to be gay.

    As part of this post a couple years ago, I concluded with this line: We are your sons, your daughters, your mothers, your fathers, your neighbors, your coworkers, your friends. We are here to love - and we are here to stay.

    I'm so grateful that people like you make it worthwhile to stay, Dan.

    ReplyDelete